Tuesday 28 July 2015

Why did I become a Librarian?

Well, this is something that I remember very vividly. I was in my room at uni, and after three years of doing a course I loved (English Literature) I realised I was going to have to go out into the world and do something. I had no idea what. I had thought about working back stage in theatres, but having tried it I decided it wasn't for me. I thought about becoming a teacher, but having family members who teach made me realise that the politics were more consuming than the job was, and that's not how i thought it should be.

I was going through various job adverts, wondering whether I should or could apply, and I came across an advert for an Assistant Librarian. I got the sense that it was a job about people and learning, and would require constant learning; a job that wouldn't get boring after a week or a month. It seemed to suit my personality - some quiet time (cataloguing); some time with others (teaching or deliberating with colleagues); some order (re-shelving) and some chaos (the library users!). This was mid 2009 and now, in mid 2015 I can honestly say I've never looked back and regretted this decision! It has been tough, and expensive, but amazing and challenging, and I have met some of the most inspiring people, who are doing amazing things. My colleagues across the country really are an absolute inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment